Monday, May 2, 2016

Proverbs 12:1-14 Character Counts!

       CHARACTER COUNTS (12:1–14): 


The Lord is happy with those who are good but condemns the wicked.  In looking at verses 1-8, I am struck with a Proverb that seems to sum up the moral benefits of Godly character, verse 8 says: “A man will be commended according to his insight and sound judgment, But the one who is of a perverse mind will be despised.”
The word here for “Commended” is halal 
·  to shine (fig. of God's favour); to flash forth light-
We are reminded, once again, that our character shines forth like light.  Character is who we are when no one is looking.   This is about finding the will of God in our life, seeking Him out- and then doing it. Matthew Henry says, “Those who have grace, will delight in the instructions given them. “

Verse 1 ties character in with God’s Potter’s hands:
12 Whoever loves instruction and discipline loves knowledge,
But he who hates reproof and correction is stupid

What about you?  Do you delight in the reproofs of the Lord?
Do you seek His will in your decisions and follow His guidings?
I have had a revelation, as of late.  The Lord has closed many doors on me and my ambitions.   I pray that my life is a representation of His highest good that is laid out for me, and that I have the Wisdom to walk there.  This prayer, inherently, requires a constant pruning. 
            ->I have prayed for His will to be complete in me – yet, I balk when He closes doors. Rejection hurts, even when I continue walking towards His highest good.  I believe, with all of my heart, that He closes a door because I have prayed to only go through the doors that offer my highest good ---yet, I weep from the rejection as the doors close on my poor little face!!  Richard Mullins wrote lyrics for “Hold Me Jesus” that capture this very dichotomy that rattles around inside of me:
Surrender don't come natural to me
I'd rather fight You for something
I don't really want
Than to take what You give that I need
And I've beat my head against so many walls
Now I'm falling down, I'm falling on my knees “
Finally I fall on my knees, and I accept His will, band-aiding my heart and knowing He calls me on to different pastures.
Abandoning my will to His call is a daily struggle. In this season my eyes have been opened and I am grateful for the doors that He closed. Yesterday, I was hectic trying to do everything:
·      Being a good wife
·      Being a good mom
·      Being a devoted church attendee
·      Being devoted with tithe, time and talents at church
·      Upholding an entire internet community
·      Taking care of my mom
·      Taking care of my daughter who is still suffering from post-concussive syndrome and a new diagnosis.
I barreled through  my day, dropping into bed exhausted.  I woke up- exhausted. I had a breaking point- weeping uncontrollably- I couldn’t do it all.  I couldn’t get everyone to all of the Dr appts and to the Homebound services that my daughter needed, while maintaning the schedules of the other 2 children at home, art classes, preschool, Senior classes, internet studies, conferences, and women’s ministry, and loving my mother well---I was breaking and calling out to the Lord- “Help Me Find BALANCE”. 

….and doors started to close.
…and I resented it and hurt from the “rejection”. How does He put up with me??

A few months have gone by now and I find this freedom in living my life as an act of Worship.   I got to keep that which He wanted and He – so graciously – took what I wasn’t supposed to have – away from me. I had to let it go.  There were parts of me that wanted to hold on – but, where is the sense in that?
Today I am amazed at my productivity for Him.  I know me and I know the urge will be back to fill up my calendar again.  I pray that this time I listen to the discerning voice of Wisdom as she walks with  me and the Holy Spirit guides me to the highest calling.

No comments:

Monica: Romania

Monica: Romania
Beauty Pierces the Darkness

Join us at Encouragement Cafe!

On Earth As It Is In Heaven

On Earth As It Is In Heaven

God Will Fix This

God Will Fix This
A prayer for San Bernadino

Art in the Mission Field

Art in the Mission Field
How much would you pay for a smile like that?

God of the Impossible

God of the Impossible
Dreams made Flesh

The Majesty of God

The Majesty of God
His Threadbare Sandals

Abundance

Abundance
You taught My Feet To Dance on Disappointment

Creativity Unleashed!

Creativity Unleashed!
<3